Scriptures to Pray
What should I pray? A list of "prayer points" has been assembled as a place to start. They include a scripture to help you focus attention on the growth of Christ's Church and the congregation of Chapel Hill. Pick a new one every day or concentrate on just one for multiple days. A link to each scripture in the NRSV translation is included so you may easily reference the full chapter or explore different translations. And, of course, feel free to include your own favorite passages that inspire you. The first time you approach these prayers you might be interested in seeing more about how the Bible guides us to pray, including scriptural references HERE.
Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths: guide me in your truth and teach me for you are God my Savior and my hope is in you all day long.
Teach me your way O Lord and I will walk in your truth: give me an undivided heart that I may fear your name.
Father, give us the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that we may know You better. May the eyes of our hearts be enlightened in order that we may know the hope to which You have called us, the riches of Your glorious inheritance in the saints and Your incomparably great power for us who believe.
Father, out of Your glorious riches, strengthen us with power through Your Spirit in our inner beings so that Christ may dwell in our hearts through faith. And that we, being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge that we may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of You, Father. To You, who are able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine according to Your power that is at work within us, to You be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever.
Father, may our love abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that we may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to Your glory and praise.
Father, we ask You to fill us with the knowledge of Your will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding, in order that we may live lives worthy of You, Father, and may please You in every way, bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of You, being strengthened with all power according to Your glorious might so that we may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully give thanks to You, Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.
Father, let us be thankful and worship You acceptably with reverence and awe.
Father, equip us with everything good for doing Your will work in us what is pleasing to You, through Jesus Christ. to whom be glory forever and ever.
Help us overcome our unbelief.
II Thessalonians 1:11-12
Father, we pray that You will count us worthy of Your calling, and that by Your power You may fulfill every good purpose of this church, Chapel Hill, and every act prompted by our faith so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified, according to Your grace.
Teach me, O Lord, to follow Your decrees, then I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding and I will keep Your law and obey it with my heart. Direct me in the path of Your commands for there I find delight. Turn my heart toward Your statutes and not toward selfish gain. Turn my eyes away from worthless things: preserve my life according to Your word.
How to Use Prayer Points, also known as Scriptural Prayer:
1. Pick a scripture. "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us." - 1 John 5:14
2. Speak it out loud. "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." - Mark 11:24
3. Pray over it with the knowledge that God will honor God's word. "I will ... praise your name for your unfailing love and faithfulness." - Psalm 138:2
4. Internalize. Meditate on the meaning. "Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." - Joshua 1:8
5. Be expectant. "Yes, my soul finds rest in God. My hope comes from Him." - Psalm 62:5
6. Receive. "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." - Matthew 21:22
7. Testify. [Jesus said] “Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” - Mark 5:19